We accept the following unpublished unsolicited submissions:
- Up to 3 poems (maximum 7 pages)
- 1 short story or novel excerpt (maximum 20 pages or 6000 words)
- 3 pieces of flash fiction (1000 words per piece)
- 1 piece of literary creative nonfiction (maximum 20 pages or 6000 words)
- Up to 10 pages of experimental or cross-genre literature (including graphic stories, 10-minute plays, 3000 words maximum if prose)
- 3 to 10 pieces of visual art, must be a series
- All written submissions must be in .doc or .docx file format (Microsoft Word or Open Office files)
Writers and artists may submit only once, in a single genre, per submission period. The submission periods are:
- September 1 to December 1 for inclusion in the summer issue (released in May)
- March 1 to June 1 for inclusion in the winter issue (released in December)
Once published in our journal, contributors may submit again after one year.
Response times vary from four to nine months, depending on where your submission falls in the reading period, but we will usually respond within five months.
If your submission is accepted for publication in the journal, you will receive two free copies of the journal issue that your work appears in, and a discount on additional copies of the issue.
Beginning March of 2016, we are now charging a small service fee ($2) for submissions*. This administrative fee helps fund our online submission system and ensures that Fourteen Hills will continue as an outlet for exciting and diverse new work. (*Submission fees are waived for current subscribers to Fourteen Hills. To support us as a subscriber, please visit our Subscriptions page.)