We accept the following unpublished unsolicited submissions:
- Up to 3 poems (maximum 7 pages)
- 1 short story or novel excerpt (maximum 20 pages or 6000 words)
- 3 pieces of flash fiction (1000 words per piece)
- 1 piece of literary creative nonfiction (maximum 20 pages or 6000 words)
- Up to 10 pages of experimental or cross-genre literature (including graphic stories, 10-minute plays, 3000 words maximum if prose)
- 3 to 10 pieces of visual art, must be a series
- All written submissions must be in .doc or .docx file format (Microsoft Word or Open Office files)
Writers and artists may submit only once, in a single genre, per submission period. The submission period is:
- March 1 to June 1 for inclusion in the Spring issue (released in May)
Once published in our journal, contributors may submit again after two years.
Response times vary, depending on where your submission falls in the reading period, but as we are now an annual journal, we will usually respond within TEN months.
If your submission is accepted for publication in the journal, you will receive two free copies of the journal issue that your work appears in, and a discount on additional copies of the issue.
Beginning March of 2016, we are now charging a small service fee ($2) for submissions*. This administrative fee helps fund our online submission system and ensures that Fourteen Hills will continue as an outlet for exciting and diverse new work. (*Submission fees are waived for current subscribers to Fourteen Hills. To support us as a subscriber, please visit our Subscriptions page.)
DETAILS OF THE AWARD:
- The winning manuscript is published by Fourteen Hills Press and the SFSU Creative Writing Department.
- The 2019 MRBA will go to a poetry submission.
- The author will receive 50 complimentary copies one month after the release of the book. The author will also have the opportunity to purchase additional copies of the book at a considerable discount.
- Fourteen Hills Press will layout the book and decide on a cover design in cooperation with the author of the manuscript.
- Fourteen Hills Press will organize a release party in San Francisco to be held immediately before the release of the book.
- The book will be distributed through Small Press Distribution and the consignment efforts of the Fourteen Hills Press staff.
GUIDELINES FOR SUBMISSION:
- You must be currently enrolled as a student at SFSU or have graduated within the past two years.
- Your manuscript must be at least 45 pages in length, and no more than 175 pages in length.
- The cover letter field must include your name, the title of your manuscript, your phone number, mailing address, email, and SFSU student ID number (or graduation year).
- Your submission document must include a table of contents if there are multiple works within your manuscript.
- No revisions to the manuscript will be accepted after submission.
- Individual works may have been previously published in magazines or journals, but the entire manuscript must be unpublished. Manuscripts that have been previously self-published are ineligible.
- Manuscripts will be judged anonymously. Therefore, the author's name, other identifying information, and publication information must not appear within the manuscript. Only your uploaded manuscript is visible to the judge.
Thank you for supporting Fourteen Hills with your subscription!
Subscriptions begin with the next published issue and subscription prices include shipping and handling. All current subscribers are entitled to free online submissions to Fourteen Hills.