We accept the following unpublished unsolicited submissions:
- Up to 3 poems (maximum 7 pages)
- 1 short story or novel excerpt (maximum 20 pages or 6000 words)
- 3 pieces of flash fiction (1000 words per piece)
- 1 piece of literary creative nonfiction (maximum 20 pages or 6000 words)
- Up to 10 pages of experimental or cross-genre literature (including graphic stories, 10-minute plays, 3000 words maximum if prose)
- 3 to 10 pieces of visual art, must be a series
- All written submissions must be in .doc or .docx file format (Microsoft Word or Open Office files)
Writers and artists may submit only once, in a single genre, per submission period. The submission period is:
- March 1 to June 1 for inclusion in the Spring issue (released in May)
Once published in our journal, contributors may submit again after two years.
Response times vary, depending on where your submission falls in the reading period, but as we are now an annual journal, we will usually respond within TEN months.
If your submission is accepted for publication in the journal, you will receive two free copies of the journal issue that your work appears in, and a discount on additional copies of the issue.
Beginning March of 2016, we are now charging a small service fee ($2) for submissions*. This administrative fee helps fund our online submission system and ensures that Fourteen Hills will continue as an outlet for exciting and diverse new work. (*Submission fees are waived for current subscribers to Fourteen Hills. To support us as a subscriber, please visit our Subscriptions page.)
Thank you for supporting Fourteen Hills with your subscription!
Subscriptions begin with the next published issue and subscription prices include shipping and handling. All current subscribers are entitled to free online submissions to Fourteen Hills.